Pages

10.27.2014

makeshift studio

We've spent the past couple of weekends cleaning, organizing and rearranging.  It all started with a need to sort through all the boxes and bags of too large or too small kid clothes that have been accumulating in the basement. As we worked, I realized that with a little rearranging I could make much better use of the limited space we have in the basement, and give it another use.  Because laundry, storage and food pantry just isn't enough for one little room! 

I accepted the reality some time ago that very little, if any, sewing or crafting would be possible with the current location of my sewing table. Right in the living room, where little hands can reach everything! Now that I've relocated my crafting space to the basement, I've at least got a good chance of actually accomplishing something every now and then. Provided I can steal a few moments to myself.

Last night I was lucky enough to spend a couple of blissful hours alone, locked in the basement.  Yes, locked! On my way down I asked Robert to *please* lock the door behind me so that no one would follow me. (Otherwise, the sound of that door opening is like a magnet pulling my children from any corner of the house to come a see who's going downstairs, and what they're doing.  And of course, once they get down there, what treasures can they rummage for to bring back up.) I spent the time sorting through my sweater scraps and planning a new project. I feels so nice to be able to leave a project out and be ready to pick up right where I left off.  I think I'm very much going to like my new makeshift studio. What it lacks in aesthetic, it certainly makes up for in functionality. And for now that's just right. 



8 comments:

  1. A dedicated crafting space sounds lovely! I use the kitchen counter and table right now and it involves a lot of taking out and putting away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I'm even more impressed with all of your wonderful sewing!

      Delete
  2. Oh it's amazing to have a little space where you can leave everything laid out! H and I share our conservatory as a studio, well sort of, it's undergoing a massive rearranging and de cluttering at the moment, and I love having it there - and as it's still got the original external door from the kitchen I love that we can lock the door!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A conservatory studio sounds so sunny and inviting! And locks really are quite wonderful sometimes.

      Delete
  3. How nice to have a space where you can leave things out safely without little ones playing with them! We're reorganising here too, I like the term "winter nest building" and our Miss.L's room is having a makeover (she's a Lydia too and her middle name is Suzanne!!). Happy crafting in your new space :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Lydia Suzanne, how absolutely wonderful!!! And I love that term :) Sounds like quite a lot of it is going on these days.

      Delete
  4. I am so happy to have found your blog! Thank you for your sweet comment on ours :) I am impressed by your pretty knitted pieces....i crochet more than I knit but I have learned a few basics and hope to knit something more than a dishcloth one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marie, I'm delighted to have you visit! My grandma taught me to knit, but I still have yet to learn to crochet.

      Delete