Pages

10.23.2014

It's a HOOT! Quilt







My second ever quilt is finally done! Only took me three and a half years, and that's ok.  What started out as a baby quilt is really more appropriately sized for a toddler anyway.  And she does love it so.  Several weeks ago I pulled it out in it's quilted but unbound state to show a friend that was visiting, and Lydia was so excited that it was for her and wanted to keep and use it right away. Now that I've actually done the binding, and see how easy it was, I feel a bit silly that this quilt has been sitting for over a year awaiting this final step.  

Getting the top put together was the easy part. In my pre-baby fabric purchasing frenzy I also selected a couple of charm packs from the It's a HOOT! collection by MoMo for Moda.  Hours were spent sitting on the nursery floor, arranging and rearranging each little square until I had just the right combination and balance of color.  All the while dreaming of the new baby, so long awaited, that would soon join our family.  What would she look like? What would sort of personality would she have? What fun it will be to raise a daughter! Just as this quilt has come together bit by bit, so too is my dear Lydia growing to be such a fine little lady.  

It melts my heart each time I hear her say "Mama, this is my special quilt that you made for me",  and to hear in her voice that she knows it was an act of love. That's what mama crafting is really all about, isn't it? A tangible, snuggly bit of love, crafted specially for those we hold most dear.

6 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous!! No wonder she wanted to keep it out and snuggle under it. Handmade quilts are wonderful for copying up, and there's nothing quite like watching your little ones tucked up in something handmade!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful quilt! And I love the colors! Such a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth! Now that this one is finally completed, I think it may be time to start thinking of making another.

      Delete
  3. It is absolutely lovely, Susanne, bravo for finishing it! You've made a family heirloom there that'll see a lot of snuggling and den building. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Alison! I hope it does last that long, for I intend to mend and mend again if need be. Still a bit sad that my childhood blanket got tossed because of a large hole. Oh, how I loved to tuck my little feet in that hole and snuggle in!

    ReplyDelete